Juvenile Detention Counselor (JDC) - Augusta RYDC
Company: State of Georgia
Posted on: June 23, 2022
Under supervision, plans, manages, and evaluates social services
programs. Administers and coordinates the services and program
activities in dependency, mental illness, youth development, or
physical or developmental disability programs.
JOB SPECIFIC DUTIES:
* Performs and/or directs intake services to youth.
* Provides counseling to individuals, groups, or families, to
effect positive change in the youth's behavior and/or social
* Provide collaborative meetings with other agency stake holders
for discharge recommendations.
* Leads or participates as a member of a multidisciplinary team to
identify youths' strengths, resources, symptoms, and behavioral
challenges to develop and monitor an effective implementation of
the service plan.
* Prepares and submit required reports and other documentation.
* Attend continuing education course geared towards trends and
professional development in the field of Case Management
* Maintain confidentiality of Case Record and release information
as required by policy.
Support of the delivery of programs & case management services and
substance abuse services in assigned facilities.
* Works with program staff to ensure that services are in keeping
with best practices and departmental policy.
* Under limited direction, provides structured cognitive behavioral
groups and/or life-skills group counseling sessions, documents all
programmatic activities, and performs a variety of administrative
duties designed to facilitate juvenile rehabilitation and ensure a
safe and secure environment at a youth detention facility.
* Some duties will include: Facilitate or Co-facilitate Groups lead
or participate in facility wide PBIS activities, work hours to
include Afternoon/evening/Holiday/Weekends and conduct parent
* The primary focus of the Support Services Worker is to deliver
Programming to youths. The Support Service Worker will also be
trained in additional areas to assist the Juvenile Detention
Counselor when critical need is present.
Performs and/or directs intake services to youth.
* Collects and assesses in-depth information about a client's
situation and functioning in order to assess his/her abilities,
needs, and eligibility for services
* Performs or directs admission and orientation of youth in
accordance with policy
* Thoroughly review collateral information and other background
information to determine appropriate services as a program
participant in program services.
Provides counseling to individuals, groups or families, to effect
positive change in the youth's behavior and/or social
* Communicates clearly and accurately to the youth the goals and
objectives of the program.
* Conducts individual counseling sessions with youth on a regular
* Conducts group sessions in accordance with the program
* Demonstrates knowledge of appropriate usage of behavioral,
cognitive restructuring and relapse prevention
* Properly identifies high-risk situations and implements
appropriate housing and/or safety plan.
* Documents each group session, to include concepts taught and an
assessment of participants' progress, in accordance with
established time frames and guidelines.
* Conducts rounds daily on the living unit to ensure youth needs
are identified and addressed.
* Provides evening and weekend coverage to provide for the social,
emotional, and behavioral needs of youth.
Maintain confidentiality of Case Record and release of information
as required by policy.
* Observes rules of confidentiality as stated by departmental
guidelines in the dissemination and interpretation of tests
* Provides information to educate the public, other agencies,
vendors and potential customers about case management services
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in one
of the areas of: Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Forensic
Psychology, Rehabilitation Counseling or a directly related field
AND two years of related experience.
Master`s degree from an accredited college or university in one of
the following areas: Psychology, Sociology, Social Work, Forensic
Psychology, Rehabilitation Counseling or a directly related
* Graduate coursework in treatment and assessment methods, group
counseling, rehabilitation, criminology and human development
focuses on the needs of specific criminal populations.
* One (1) year of experience in mental health/substance abuse
treatment settings/juvenile justice/residential setting.
* Professional and/or general counseling experience in a mental
health/substance abuse treatment/juvenile justice/residential
* Knowledge and experience of risk reduction principles and
assessments with the juvenile or adult population.
THIS IS AN INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL JOB ANNOUNCEMENT
THIS IS AN UNCLASSIFIED POSITION.
THE SELECTED APPLICANT FOR THE POSITION WILL BE SUBJECT TO A
REFERENCE CHECK AND CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK, WHERE APPLICABLE
PLEASE INCLUDE ALL RELEVANT JOB INFORMATION ON THE APPLICATION FOR
CONSIDERATION. ALL APPLICATIONS WILL BE PRESCREENED.
DJJ IS AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Bachelor's degree in a related field from an accredited college or
university. Note: Some positions require eligibility for
* Agency Logo:
* Requisition ID: SOC084J
* Number of Openings: 1
* Advertised Salary: $31,000
* Shift: Day Job
Keywords: State of Georgia, Augusta , Juvenile Detention Counselor (JDC) - Augusta RYDC, Other , Hephzibah, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!